A vegan does not eat any animal products, so that rules out eggs, milk, cream, and gelatin. Gelatin, which jello is made from, comes from animal collagen, so that is another no-no for strict vegans. It is possible to make delicious jello recipes using agar agar powder, which is a gelling agent frequently used in Indonesian, Thai and Vietnamese cuisine. Agar agar desserts taste very similar to jello recipes and gelatin recipes. If you like jello recipes, you will like agar agar recipes too.
Agar agar is made from seaweed. Silken tofu is a great replacement for dairy products like milk or cream, and it is combined with mangos, cardamom, and citrus in the following vegan mango mousse recipe. The lime stops it from being too sweet and the orange adds a contrasting fruit flavor. This recipe is suitable for everyone, no matter whether you are a vegetarian, a vegan, or a diehard carnivore. Just because a recipe is suitable for vegans does not mean that other people cannot enjoy it too and this mango mousse is certainly enjoyable.
Silken tofu is excellent for making dessert recipes. It is made from bean curd and it has a very soft flavor. This is a very Asian style type of mousse recipe and you will find it light, refreshing, fruity, and very flavorful. Mangos are naturally very sweet so you might want to use less sugar than the recipe calls for. The saffron and cardamom give this mango mousse a very eastern flavor and these spices go very well with the sweet fruitiness.
Delicious Mango Mousse Recipe with Pistachio Nuts
- 3 mangos
- 1 orange
- ½ lime
- 5 oz silken tofu
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- 2 saffron threads
- 1 bag pistachios
- Whipped cream, to garnish
- Peel the mangos and cut them into cubes.
- Juice the lime and orange.
- Put the tofu, mango, orange juice, limejuice, saffron, sugar, and cardamom in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Heat the water in a small pan and add the agar agar flakes when the water reaches a boil.
- Boil for 2 minutes more, and then add the pureed mango mixture.
- Stir it for 2 more minutes, then divide the mango mousse between 10 parfait glasses and chill it for several hours.
- Put the pistachios in a plastic bag and bash it with a rolling pin until most of the pistachios are broken.
- Add whipped cream to each mango mousse and sprinkle the pistachios over the top.
This wonderful vegan mango mousse recipe is really flavorful. It is subtly spiced with saffron and cardamom, and you do not have to be vegan to find this dessert appealing. The pistachios add color and flavor and the mousse itself is creamy, even though no dairy products are used to make it. It is difficult to describe the amazing flavor of this tasty mango mousse recipe, so the best thing to do is to make it yourself. This is a great dessert for any age and any occasion.