Ingredients For Making Pheasant Salad:
- 50g of fresh walnuts
- 1 red endive or red chicory
- 1 yellow endive or light chicory
- 1 butter lettuce
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 pheasant’s chest
- 2 thighs game, ideally pheasants thighs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of ground pepper
- Olive oil 50ml, for the sauce
- Port of 100ml, for the sauce
- 10ml Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar, for the sauce
Total Time Required For Pheasant Salad:
- Preparation time: 35 min
- Cooking time: 15 min
Get Ready For The Front
When working with a whole pheasant, you need to remove the legs from the crown, then boning the thighs using a small knife and being careful not to lose any of the meat. Gently pull the breasts off the bone as well. Bake the rest of the bird and use it as the basis of a strong game stock, which will freeze well and make a beautiful sauce for another game plate again.
- Start the sauce by boiling the pan in a pan until it has reduced by half. Keep in refrigerator until needed
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Use a nutcracker to crack the nuts if they are not out of their shells already. Spread them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with a little salt. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes or more, until they have a beautiful golden color. Reserve to cool on the tray.
- Cut into each endive and lettuce in the center, then remove the leaves individually and wash in a large bowl of cold water. Drain well and allow to dry on a cloth.
- Cut the leaves into long strips, keeping them as natural as possible, and place them in a large bowl.
- Cut the pomegranate in half, squeeze it on the sides to loosen the seeds and use a tablespoon to beat the seeds of each half and place them in the bowl of leaves. Keep a couple of spoonfuls of the seeds back to spruce up the dish.
- To finish the sauce, place the reduced door, the vinegar, and the olive oil in a beaker with a pinch of salt and blitz with a wand for the dressing to emulsify.
- To cook the pheasant, preheat a barbecue or pan-grill. When very hot, season the meat with a little oil, salt, and pepper. Grill the pheasant for 2 minutes on each side until charred and golden. Remove from the pan and let it stand for 2 minutes before carving.
- Finish the salad by adding most of the nuts to the bowl. Pour the sauce and mix until all the leaves are evenly coated. Transfer to serve dishes. Feel the carved pheasant on top and finish with pomegranate seeds and reserved nuts.